2.07.2015

Standing Bear

Standing Bear
 Frederick Spence 132827
SCI ; 100 Corrections Drive; Stanley, WI 54768







 FEBRUARY 2014: WISCONSIN INNOCENT PROJECT (WIP)WRITES LETTER TO PAROLE BOARD IN STANDING BEAR'S BEHALF

to write Standing Bear:
Fredrick Spence #132827
WCI ;PO Box 351 Waupun , Wi 53963
to see his blog click here
(DOC documents at end of post)

(Standing Bear is at viewer's furthest right, kneeling on one leg in picture)
Latest:


Great news!!!!! Wisconsin Innocent Project (WIP) has taken Standing Bear's case. Because DNA evidence was too old to prove innocence despite much other evidence casting doubt to his guilt, WIP recommend's standing Bear's immediate release. Click here for their letter. 


 FEBRUARY 2014: WISCONSIN INNOCENT PROJECT (WIP)WRITES LETTER TO PAROLE BOARD IN STANDING BEAR'S BEHALF

to write Standing Bear:
Fredrick Spence #132827
WCI ;PO Box 351 Waupun , Wi 53963
to see his blog click here
(DOC documents at end of post)

(Standing Bear is at viewer's furthest right, kneeling on one leg in picture)
Latest:


Great news!!!!! Wisconsin Innocent Project (WIP) has taken Standing Bear's case. Because DNA evidence was too old to prove innocence despite much other evidence casting doubt to his guilt, WIP recommend's standing Bear's immediate release. Click here for their letter. 


To begin, I will provide some background: Arrested on November 21, 1981 for the murder of a woman by the name of "Sheila Davis"; first criminal history and given a life sentence. I was 22 years at the time and am now 50. I have been incarcerated 27 years. I am presently incarcerated at Columbia Correctional Institution and I have seen the parole commission five times. The last action was 11-1-07 when I received a 12 month deferral.
I have not been problematic since incarceration, with no fights, no stabbings, or any violent outbursts. I have an H.SE.D., year and a half college credit and have completed 65 successful programs. These programs have rehabilitative prospects and propriety, they undoubtedly contributed to my growth as a man and as a human being.
There have been countless letters of support to vouch for my character and requesting my release. People who know me personally, know how I conduct myself, my plans, the goals and achievements. Letters include accommodations from wardens, from the Mayor of Appleton, MN, and from a correctional officer and State Representative Marcia P Coggs. My mother and siblings have also written letters by which I will be residing at and working at the family real estate business. All are verified.
In my last 27 years, it has been more than enough time for me to ponder my strengths, weaknesses and crimes. I have used my time to better myself as a man and learned how to contribute to the community instead of taking from it, such as the life of Ms Davis, whom I am truly sorry and remorseful for her death. I believe, as well as many others, this is my first and last incarceration based on the changes, achievements and the people and officers I've met in my life who helped me along my path.

NOTE: we have a letter from Fredrick Spence's brother attesting to the fact that Fredrick has used his time well and is rehabilitated. he also lists the incredible amount of programs Frederick has taken and donations he has made to worthy causes. We also have Frederick's letter to the parole commission . Here are a couple of paragraphs that are important:


Frederick's Letter to the Parole Commission

RE: Parole Consideration for Inmate Frederick Spence # 132827
Dear Parole Commissioner,
I am respectfully submitting this statement on my behalf in order to provide you with some insight and understanding of my sincere request for consideration of Parole.
As the Parole Commission is already aware, I was arrested on November 21, 1981 for the murder of Ms. Sheila Davis. This was my first felony conviction and I received a Life Sentence.
I would like you to know that in no way do I attempt to make an excuse for such a horrendous and inhumane crime. I'm sure the Committee is aware that I cannot recollect the events that took place on the night of Ms. Davis's death. Throughout my incarceration this sense of not knowing has caused me much grief. It has driven me to serious self-examination and to participate in any programming that has been available to me; in order to come to terms with my actions, who I am, and who I want to be.
District Attorney Gengrich's testimony at the trial added to my uncertainty as he stated:

This case is going to be a bitterly fought case, based on circumstantial evidence, with no eye witness. The. circumstantial evidence is of such a nature that some of it is not inconsistent with a reasonable hypothesis of innocence. It is going to be a very tough case. It is not inconceivable even, that we have the wrong person.
These words by the Prosecuting Attorney, along with an "inconclusive" voluntary Polygraph test taken in 1987 that did not confirm my guilt in this murder, have added to my confusion and the denial of taking Ms. Davis's life.
However, in the midst of trying to find the truth for myself, and through in-depth soul searching I have come to the conclusion, as did a Jury of my Peers, that I must have committed the crime and for that I am truly sorry. Words cannot express the shame and regret I feel everyday for my actions. I apologize deeply to the Davis family and to Society for taking someone away that was loved dearly. I am sorry for the pain and loss I have caused them. I hope and pray for forgiveness from the Davis family and from Society and will spend my life trying to make amends wherever it's possible.
While I may not completely understand or feel the same pain or sense of loss that they have endured, I have prayed for peace and comfort to surround them. I have recently lost my Father who died of old age and my Brother who died from foul play, both of whom, I was very close to. So I can somewhat relate to the pain that my actions have caused the Davis family as well as my own family. I say this with the deepest regret because I can't begin to explain how I could have taken the life of another Human Being, especially the life of a woman that I knew and who had never caused me any form of emotional or physical harm. As a Native American and as a man, I am deeply ashamed and filled with sorrow and despair because my Parents taught me to respect everyone and as a Native American I was raised to respect all life. I have, throughout my incarceration, embraced my Native American Heritage and I more fully understand its teachings and it offers me guidance to live my life differently and change who I am as a person and the actions that I take.
I cannot begin to express how the acknowledgement of my actions, which caused the death of Ms. Davis, has greatly affected me. I have let down my Parents, the Davis Family, my Community and Society. I know that this sorrow will stay with me for the rest of my life. However, this pain serves as a constant reminder for me to live a productive and positive life, to accept responsibility, be accountable and to make good choices for myself and others.
I hope that the Parole Board will allow me another opportunity to become a part of Society. I was a young and immature man at the time I committed this crime. I was 23 years old, without a real sense of direction or a positive outlook on life. I have matured over the 26 years I have been incarcerated by the Grace and Mercy of God. I have participated in 65 different programs, which I have attached, that the Department of Corrections has offered me. I have made significant changes and I have learned many new skills. In particular, I have learned to be aware of my thought patterns and my negative thinking and replace them with positive thoughts and actions.
In March I graduated from the Restorative Justice Program and I am currently enrolled in Moral Reconation Therapy with Dr. Vandenbrook and Ms. Neef. I have written a.74 page Thesis entitled: "The Accumulation of Secular and Religious Ideals of Love" which I have given out to various groups and members. I also donated a 60 person bus to the "Good News Ambassador Ministry", headed by Rev. Walter Googlette Jr. of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I also work with Ms. Karen Murphy-Smith, the co-founder of the Angela Davis Cop Watch Organization, which campaigns for the betterment and up­lifting of America's Youth and educates others to prevent racial profiling. Ms. Murphy-Smith and I have been able to work with Native American and African American populations throughout Wisconsin to bring about an alliance that will build a better and more meaningful life for youth, and poverty-stricken persons and their communities. On July 20,2000 the Great Lakes Inter-Tribal Counsel of Wisconsin, which includes 11 Federally recognized Indian Tribes, passed a resolution in support of the Alliance. I have also helped raise/donate $750.00 to: AIDS WALKATON. a Prison based group that had a goal to raise $1,255.00 to help persons living with this deadly disease, this program was directed by Mr. Dan A. Buchler. Acting Warden. I also participated in other Prison Programs such as Project Aware, a counseling Program for Juveniles at Kettle Moraine Correctional Institution.
My remaining need is for Drug and Alcohol Programming. I have participated in the past, but I have not completed. I would like to take this program, although they do not provide it here at Columbia.
My plan is to apply for an Inter-State compact agreement with the State of California, to have my parole transferred there if possible. I have a stable place to live there with my Mother, Mrs. Gloria Spence, 16011 Regency Ranch Road Riverside, California 92504. Her phone number is: 951-776-2138. My Mother is a highly respected citizen and teacher of years, to whom I will be accountable.
I will have employment with my Family's company Spence and Spence Real Estate. I will most likely begin as an Office Manager.
I have also studied and taught Music prior to my incarceration and will continue to work toward a career involving music as well.
I hope this letter conveys to you that I have worked hard over the past 26 years to become a totally different person than when I committed the tragic crime against Ms. Davis. I am a responsible adult and I believe that if the Committee gives me a chance, I can demonstrate that I am worthy of receiving another chance in Society and be a law-abiding and productive citizen.
Thank You for your time, services and consideration. Respectfully Submitted,
Mr. Frederick Spence # 132827 In Person/Box 900 (CCI) Portage,

No comments: