7.04.2015

Jody Ray O'kane -how much time is enough punishment?



 

Jody R Okane #152619

C/0 Oshkosh Corr. Inst. P.O. Box 3310

Oshkosh, WI 54903-3310
This is another case that begs the question: what is enough punishment? His crimes, 30 years ago,  were horrendous.  Can our society give him another chance? His effort at rehabilitation are tremendous. Do we give him another chance? Does rehabilitation count? Not for the present parole board. 

I have been incarcerated for over 30 years, I have completed all of my required treatment programs, and I have been a model inmate for many years now, yet I am still being denied Parole based on my not serving sufficient time for punishment and my release would involve an unreasonable risk to the public.
I saw Parole today, I was given another 12 month defer, and the Parole Commissioner who saw me, Mr. D. Drankiewicz, alluded to the fact that I could very well reach my Mandatory Release date before I would be considered for release. This is very disheartening to me considering the very long period
of time I have been incarcerated and all of the things I have accomplished along the way. My crimes were terrible, I hurt a lot of people, I know that, and I accept full responsibility for what I have done. I committed my crimes as an 18 and 19 year old kid though, as a teenager, and as a 49 year old
man, I am in no way the same person I was when I committed my crimes. Looking back now, I think it is tragic, and I wish I would have been able to make better choices, choices that did not involve hurting other people. I deeply regret my crimes, what I have  done to my victims, and I will live with the fact that I have brought so much pain into so many peoples lives for the rest of mine. I will live with that fact in here, as well as, when I am eventually released. I just hope that at some point I will be given a second chance to make a life for myself as a free man.
Name and Number:
Jody Ray O'kane #152619
Prison Located:
Oshkosh Correctional Institution Address:
P.O. Box 3310, Oshkosh, WI 54903-3310 Age When Arrested:
19 years old
-2‑
Age Now:

49 years old

Crimes Convicted of::

3 counts 2nd degree sexual assault

3 counts attempted 2nd degree sexual assault

1 count operating motor vehicle without owners consent

1 count burglary

1 count disorderly conduct

Total Sentence:

56 years

Mandatory Release Date:

October 12, 2021

Date First Eligible For Parole:

January 1998

I have been eligible for Parole for 17 and a half years now.

How Many Parole Hearings:

To date, I have seen Parole 11 times.

I have received the following defers: Jan 1998 = 48 month defer

Jan 2002 = 48 month defer Jan 2006 = 24 month defer Jan 2008 = 18 month defer June 2009 = 12 month defer June 2010 - 12 month defer June 2011 = 12 month defer June 2012 = 12 month defer June 2013 = 12 month defer June 2014 = 12 month defer June 2015 = 12 month defer

Reasons For Denying Parole:

At present, the reasons the Commissioner uses for denying me Parole

are that I have not served sufficient time for punishment, and my release at this time would involve an unreasonable risk to the public. Before completing sex offender treatment (SO4 - Residential Sex Offender Treatment) in Jan of 2011, the Commissioner also used my program

participation as not being satisfactory as a reason for denying me Parole, even though I was not able to enter treatment at that time.

Programs/Courses Taken During Incarceration:

* I earned my High School Diploma in 1987.

* I received my Associate of Arts Degree in Liberal Arts from the University of Wisconsin Green Bay in 1989.

* I participated in Sex Offender Treatment for approximately two years between 1990 and 1992.

* I have completed three vocational courses; Vovational Cabinetmaking

in 1991, Vocational Graphic Arts in 1993, and Vocational Horticulture in 1995.

* I completed AODA Level 6 Residential Drug Treatment in 2001.

* I completed Anger Management in 2001.

* I received my Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration from the University of Wisconsin Platteville in 2004, graduating

with Magna Cum Laude honors.

* J completed SO4 Residential Sex Offender Treatment in 2011.

Other Evidence of Rehabilitation:

* I have been involved with Self-Help of Wisconsin for a number of years. I have been a participant in the program, as well as, a group

-3-‑
leader/facilitator.
* I have worked as a tutor in a number of institutions, helping other inmates to achieve their educational goals, and I am an LVA Certified tutor.

Disciplinary History While Incarcerated:

I have received 2 major Conduct Reports and 18 minor Conduct Reports

in the over 30 years I have been in prison. My last Major Conduct Report

was for Group Resistance and Petitions in 1998, and my last minor Conduct Report was for Violation of Institution Policies and Procedures in 2006.

Paragraph on Myself:

Throughout my incarceration I have always strived to maintain a positive outlook on my situation, and to do things that would help me to become

a better person. This has not always been an easy task given the environment I am in, watching the years go by, seeing hundreds upon

hundreds of people come and go, losing contact with my friends and family, and hoping through it all that things will eventually change and I will begin to see some light at the end of the tunnel. It has been a struggle for me, and it has wore me down to the point of just

wanting to give up numerous times over the years. It has made me a strong person though, and through it all, I still have faith that when I finally do get my chance, I will be able to get out and live

life positively and productively without harming others in any way.

It is my hope that after reading my profile and learning more about me, you will be able to see that I have strived to change from the person I was when I committed my crimes, and I do indeed deserve a second chance. I am also planning on writing a letter to the Chairman of the Parole Commission, Mr. Dean F. Stensberg, and asking him to review my file and to consider changing the 12 month defer I was given by the Commissioner who held my hearing, and to order my Special Purpose Evaluation to be done so that I can clear ECRB (End of Confinement Review Board) and be eligible to be released. I do not believe he will be willing to do that though, so my only hope is that by the time I see Parole again 12 months from now, the efforts from your group and others will help to enact changes that will give deserving old law inmates a fair shot at Parole.



Sincerely





Parole commission. COMMENTS
You were seen today for parole consideration for cases 84CF899 Ct #2, Operate Vehicle without Owner's Consent; 84CF1073 Ct #1 and 4, Sexual Assault and Ct #2, Burglary; 85CF842, Sexual Assault and 85CF919 Ct #2, Sexual Assault, Ct #6, Disorderly Conduct and Ct #8, Sexual Assault. Your MR date for these cases is
10-12-21 and your PED date is 8-14-15. You have now served approximately 31 years and 4 months on a combined 56 year sentence. According to the record these sexual assaults involved you (while out on bail for the auto theft) raping several adult female strangers. These offenses occurred on the street, in parking lots and in a victim's apartment, which you broke into. You were finally apprehended while attempting to rape a
woman in her car in a parking lot. You've admitted to these behaviors stating that you were angry and had issues with women. At 49 years of age this is your 1st incarceration and you have a minimal criminal record, noting just one conviction for Resisting/Obstructing an officer. You were placed on probation for this behavior and had that term of supervision revoked in 1985. Your conduct while incarcerated includes 18 minor and 2 major CR's with the last major (Group Resistance) occurring on 7-22-98. You have no unmet essential treatment needs having completed AODA L6 (11-14-01) and SO-4 (1-20-11). As a result of your participation
in sex offender programming it was revealed (via Polygraph) that you have a total of 69 adult victims (47 hands-on and 22 hands-off) all of which involved forced and were either acquaintances / strangers. You also reported having 32 minor victims between the ages of 10 and 17 wherein force and manipulation were used. As a part of your programming you also participated in a PPG exam and it was determined that you have many deviant arousal patterns. Your release plan notes that you would like to live with your mother. This may be workable, but will need your agent's approval when time frames are more appropriate. Based on the nature and severity of the case, the vulnerability of the victims, your elevated scores on an actuarial risk assessment tool, the presence of deviant arousal patterns and a poor history on community supervision it is clear that you continue to present as an unreasonable risk to the community and therefore the decision by the Commission will be to defer your case for 12 months.
Note: Inmate has been identified by ECRB (10-3-12) as possibly meeting the criteria for civil commitment. An SPE is pending. Inmate will be an SBN at the time of release.
TimeStamp: 17 June 2015 12:01:54--- User: D. Drankiewicz


No comments: