7.09.2015

Lamont Moore



Lamont Moore


Lamont Moore 246986
Waupun Correction Institution
P.O. Box 351
Waupun, WI 53963

SECOND CHANCE FOR JUVENILE OFFENDERS

My name is Lamont Moore. Born July 2, 1975. I am currently serving a life sentence, where I must serve 25 years before I become eligible for parole, which is not guaranteed. My eligibility date is August 2017.
At the time of my arrest, I had turned 17, thirty six days prior. My original charge was 1st degree reckless homicide by child and carrying a concealed weapon.
I ended up waived to adult court, going to trial on 1st degree intentional homicide while armed, as a party to a crime charges. In April of l993, I was found guilty. Still 17 years old, I was sent to Green Bay Correctional.
Before my arrest, I was in a gang, in the streets and very reckless. I had no regard for anyone, except myself. I dropped out of school just to hang out with people whom I thought were my “friends”, and “cared” about me. I was wrong . It took a while to see and recognize that. So the type of person I was before I got locked up, was a person who lacked self love, worth, esteem, knowledge and appreciation,
That was then. In 2010, I’m completely evolved with a craving for understanding things possible. After 18 years incarceration, I’ve traveled a very long way. I pride myself on it.
I’ve accomplished so much. I attained my HSED\GED. I have a diploma in Small Business Management. I graduated from Custodial Services with a B+ average. I became LVA certified a tutor and have helped many receive their GEDs; on and off the record. I’ve completed many of my mandated programs, with the exception of CGIP – Phase 1 and 2 and Anger Management. Both of which, I’ve remained on a waiting list for, due to those with less time than I.
I’ve held numerous jobs, whether vocational or tutoring or working on things I’m unfamiliar with. I enjoy new challenges, as it expands my knowledge.
The best thing I’ve accomplished while incarcerated is the understanding of life. Without it, I’ve always taken advantage of it or taken it for granted.
I’ll be 35 this year and the person I’ve become, I enjoy. I’ve become independent in ways that didn’t seem possible. I understand the value of life, friendships, education and survival. I focus on the positive aspects of everything. I think before I act, no longer jumping the gun. I’m not angry at the world, whereas, I’d love to learn more about. I’ve become patient, caring, compassionate, forgiving, honest, reliable, respectable, trustworthy, etc..
Basically, I’ve grown from the foolishness to being productive and efficient. The type of person I am now ? I’m very proud myself, as well is my Mom! And that’s saying a lot. I’m the good guy, the one you’re not ashamed to stand next to.
Why do I believe I deserve a second chance? I am not the same person I was when I was 17. I couldn’t make a good decision if there was one decision to make.
I didn’t understand what “life” meant to law abiding people. More so, I was confused because I was looking for somewhere to belong, when my family was there. I used to blame people for my problems, when I was the one causing them. That was then.
I am a different person, now. I consider myself a young man, man with a direction, a purpose, a sense of self awareness and an in depth appreciation for “ life” and what it represents.
I was given the opportunity to better myself and become a responsible person. I believe I’ve done that and much more and I’m ready to show you, as my community, that I am ready to participate in “life”.
I do believe I deserve a second chance. But before it’s too late. After serving 18 years, I believe in rehabilitation. Yet to sentence someone to so much time in prison, with the thought of rehabilitation, it becomes a punishment because the likelihood of one getting out is unforeseeable.
Thank-you for reading these thoughts.

Lamont Moore 246986
Waupun Correction Institution
P.O. Box 351
Waupun, WI 53963
_____________________________________________________________________________
May 2015
Essay: A Juvenile Rehabilitated
                       read in PDF form- original handwritten essay   
                       read or download typed form- pdf


Lamont Moore 246986 WCI
A Juvenile Rehabilitated (Second chances for Juveniles)
As a youth, we’re not equipped with divine understanding of what it means to be a leader, humane. Only through trial and error do we come to know and understand the importance of our existence, our soul, our spirituality. With this spiritual enlightenment, we come to accept and acknowledge the effects of our choices. Therefore accepting our fate in the world.
As a youth, we search blindly to fill a void of the very things we take for granted, such as compassion, companionship, friendship, family, loyalty and love, only to be substituted by the very things that plague our nation and our communities today.
By God’s design, man is equipped with many imperfections with no sin greater than the next. Yet far too many are eager to judge ,exploit and turn their backs of the ignorant and spiritually blind for no reason other that to satisfy the now ”norms” of society, which will have us believe and act as if the future and lives of our youth have no place in the world when they make decision that the enlightened would not. Again , no man is perfect and neither am I.
There was a time when the leaders n our communities were not only role models, but disciplinarians of our youth>It was a calling. A duty that one took  pride in. These same leaders are now scarce, which allows this injustice to plague our communities and youth to run ramant; free of constrictions that once were pivotal. The same injustices that are now sweeping our nation with rapid and brutal force reflecting that black lives don’t matter. This reflection couldn’t be Farther from the truth.
But it’s never too late to try to gain our foothold, standing up and being accountable. God gives us strength to overcome all things that do not sit well with us. We have our battlegear and as part of God’s army, we are equipped to deal with the injustices within our communities. But first, we must realize that there is a problem.
And so arises the question of who is lamont. No one can tell you this story better than I can. But I am a man who’s genuine at heart though I’ve been through a lot .I have capture the spirit of the past and am using it to force my future. My faith is strong as well as my determination to erase the stigma place upon me that I am a waste. I am still a child of God and my life does matter.
This is my story:
My name is Lamont. I’m a 39 year old Back man. I’ll be 40 on July 2nd. I’ve been incarcerated since a juvenile I was 17 years old when I committed and act against a fellow young man. It changed my life as well as the victim’s, forever, as he is no longer with us, and I, incapable of understanding life and its pleasures, nor did I comprehend the decision I’d made. For committing murder, I was sentenced to a term of life imprisonment with a 25 year parole eligibility date of August 2017.
23  years later, I am a completely different person> A man whose past will never be forgotten or ever ease. IN my youth, I’ve made decisions I’m not proud of, but eventually played a major part is developing my future, carefully molding the man I am today.
Raised in Milwaukee, WI, I lost my father due to health concerns. I did have a single mother who gave me all that she could but I was troubled, mentally distraught form the loss of my father and the treatment thereafter.
Raised Christian,  I swayed from the church, finding myself in the streets, searching, not really knowing or understanding what it was I was looking for: lost, misguided as I was I embraced this, abandoning my roots and my family and found myself going through a trial for my soul.
I attempted to fill a void with something that I thought was sincere and because I found “brotherly” love in the streets, I felt obligated to show loyalty to those I thought showed loyalty to those I thought showed me that same degree of loyalty. I was foolish and because of m personality, I went a step further:  Unthinkingly , I senselessly took a life- another of God’s creations. Not once did I consider what it meant to do because remorse didn’t register .I didn’t think about what he’d grow up to be: whether he was a father, a loving son or a playful big brother. I didn’t take responsibility for what I’d done because I didn’t understand. I didn’t appreciate God’s design of life being a precious gift. It was not his plan for Goshida Hall to die at the hands of another.  For that ,I can earnestly say that I am truly sorry without being selfish, self –centered, irresponsible and immature.
That was then and still I am a work in progress, flawed yet making amends by accepting responsibility for such a careless, senseless act, which cost Yoshida his life. I had to find it within myself to decide if I wanted salvation because my soul was hurting and by finding myself ,I found God again, setting myself right because the love that I sought was the love that I had overlooked throughout my youth. And for the last 23 years, I’ve grown , matured, become dependable, responsible and developed a sense of being and an identity I am proud of.
Even with my flaws, I know God will keep me strong and faithful; on my journey> and so, I am a man who has changed for the better and I’ve never forgotten my past because it’s the fuel that feels the fire that burns within me Today. I am understanding, compassionate, sympathetic and in tune with my spirituality, which gives me the strength and direction to become a better man tomorrow than I was yesterday. This is my story and it matters to me. I am rehabilitated and believe I deserve a second chance in society
Contact me at:
Lamont E Moore 246986;WCI, Po Box 351; Waupun, WI 53963

No comments: