1.10.2016

Darrell Johnson



Darrell Johnson 163364
Oakhill Correctional Institution
Oregon, WI 53575

  The District Attorney at sentencing asked for and got a sentence of 40 years for his non violent burglary crimes. He asked for the long sentence because prisoners were eligible for parole after serving one fourth of their sentence and he wanted this man to serve ten years. Here he is in prison 22 years later- that is in a nutshell the parole mess we are talking about.
Here is the statement verbatim:

"The total the state is asking for is 40 years. I'm asking that because quite frankly given the conditions of our prison and Mr.Johnson

is probably going to serve about 10 years from today,date roughly a little bit more, but I believe a 10 year period where he's
in an institution is necessary. The only thing that is going to change Mr.Johnson is time and putting him into his 30's and in this case 36 or 37 will at least give this community a break from his activities."

Darrell Johnson 163364
Oakhill Correctional Institution
Oregon, WI 53575

Below is his petition: sign here 


http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/darrell-johnson-deserves?source=c.em&r_by=10992208
Darrell Johnson Deserves to be Released
Petition by FFUP
To be delivered to Dean Stensberg, parole chairman, edward Wall, DOC Secretary, The Wisconsin State House, The Wisconsin State Senate, and Governor Scott Walker
Darrell D. Johnson was arrested in December 1993 for Possession of a firearm by a Convicted Felon, Burglary and Burglary while armed. He was 25 years old and was given a sentence of 40 years in September 1994. At sentencing the DA stated:
“The total the state is asking for is 40 years. I'm asking that because quite frankly, given the conditions of our prisons and Mr.Johnson is probably going to serve about 10 years from today, roughly a little bit more, but I believe a 10 year period where he's in an institution is necessary"

Mr.Johnson has served almost 22 years and has been eligible for release since December 2003.He has seen the parole board 10 times and is continually denied parole and has been advised at every parole hearing that he has not served sufficient time for punishment.
Darrell Johnson has completed all the programs required of him to do ,plus he also did extra programs. He has completed AODA Level 6 Therapeutic Treatment Program, an AODA Level 1 Support Group, gotten his HSED and received a Vocational Certificate in Custodial Services Lab. He has also completed 9 of the 10 Pre-Release ReEntry Modules. The last module can't be completed until he is within 6 months of his release. On his own, Mr.Johnson has completed Anger Management, Lift Truck Operator 2 Course and he is now a Certified Powered Industrial Fork Lift Operator. Finally, he has also completed all the necessary hours to obtain a Certificate of Apprenticeship as a Custodial Worker, through the Dept. of Workforce Development.
The only program Mr.Johnson has yet to complete is the Thinking for a Change/CGIP Program. This program was never a need for Mr.Johnson to do. On September 18,2014 he took a Compass Test and because of his "apparent" test scores, Mr.Johnson was advised that he needed to take the program. This program is also offered after his release. Here is Darnell Johnson’s statement:
“To whomever is reading this, please allow me, Darrell D.Johnson, to express why I feel that I deserve to be released. I will not claim to be a model prisoner but my institution adjustment has been very satisfactory. I have received 4 minor and 4 major conduct reports in almost 22 years. None of my conduct reports have been for fighting, assault, possession/ manufacturing of a weapon, the consumption of drugs/alcohol, possession of drugs/alcohol and/or disrespect to staff. I feel that I have served sufficient time for my punishment and more importantly, I am ready to be released and am statutory eligible for release, My program participation is very satisfactory. My parole plan is also very adequate. At this present time I know that I am not a risk to the public. At the worst time in my life 1 burglarized two homes. I am surely not minimizing my actions but I have done almost 22 years for a non-violent crime. I take full responsibility for my actions and my situation. But I can assure you that I am not the same person today, that I was almost 22 years ago.
Coming to prison literally saved my life. Since being in prison I have gotten the drug and alcohol treatment that I so badly needed. I have also gotten the educational help that I need to get and keep a job. My plan is to start my own business in the custodial field. I also have a great number of family and friends that will assist me upon my release.
I am truly and deeply remorseful for my actions. I also deeply regret doing what I did to get myself in this situation. I hurt a lot of people with the action that I took. I disappointed myself and my family I am truly thankful that no one got hurt during those two burglaries and that the victims received their property back.
Thank you for reading about my situation.
There are currently 4 signatures. We need 50 signatures!
Petition Background
There is a lot in the statement of the DA at Darrell's Sentencing: “The total the state is asking for is 40 years. I'm asking that because quite frankly, given the conditions of our prisons and Mr.Johnson is probably going to serve about 10 years from today, roughly a little bit more, but I believe a 10 year period where he's in an institution is necessary"
SO the judge sentenced knowing that the offender would be out soon after he served 25% of his sentence, in this case 10 years. So he gave long sentences. This was before 2000 when everything changed. So why is Darrell still in after 22 years? he has done all he can to prove himself worthy of release. Please sign his petition and tell the powers that that you too, believe in rehabilitation and that Darrel Johnson deserves a second chance.
Current petition signers
·         4. Marie Brown from BROOKLYN CENTER, MN signed this petition on Jan 23, 2016.
·         3. Ifrah inshar from St paul, MN signed this petition on Jan 23, 2016.
·         2. MartiniqueJohnson from Maplewood, MN signed this petition on Dec 4, 2015.
·         1. FFUP from Blue River, WI signed this petition on Dec 2, 2015.
Top of Form
Bottom of Form


here are the details:
My situation speaks very highly about what has gone absolutely wrong when it comes to inmates being paroled. I have met all the criterias for release but I have been denied parole 9 times. General information:
1.   Name: Johnson, Darrell Dwayne #163364
2.   Present placement: Oakhill Corr.Inst.(Minimum). I have been here since January 23,2013
3.   D.O.B.:May 14,1968
4.   Date of incarceration: December 31,1993
5.   Age of arrest:25 years young
6.   Description of defense and time sentenced:
A.Poss.of Firearm by Convicted Felon(5 years)
B.Burglary(1 5 years)
C.Burglary while armed(20 years)

*1 burglarized 2 homes and while I was in the second home I picked up a firearm and I left the home*
7.    Total years sentenced:40 years

 8 I have been incarcerated for over 21 years for a what essentially is a non-violent crime
 9. A & E Assed Program Needs:
A.AODA Level 6 Residential Therapeutic Treatment
(Completed 10-21-01)
B,AODA Level 1 Support Group(Completed 1-22-98) C.ABE-HSED(Completed 5-19-95)
D,Vocational Education:Custodial Services Lab(Completed 5-10-07)
E.Anger Management(Completed 6-29-01)
 F.I have also completed 9 of the 10 Pre-Release Reentry Modules
       G.On 9-18-14 I was given the Compas Test and because of my"apparent" test score I have been advised to take Thinking for a Change as a need
   H.I am also presently working on my Certificate of
Apprenticeship through the Department of Workforce Devel.

10.First Parole Eligibility Date:November 2003
11.1 have seen the Parole Board 9 times:
1.24 month defer on 11-6-03
2.24 month defer on 10-20-05
3.24 month defer on 10-04-07
 4.11 month defer on 10-29-09
5.11 month defer on 04-06-11
6.11 month defer on 03-20-12
         7.11 month defer on 03-04-13
         8.10 month defer on 01-14-14
           9. 10 month defer on 11-07-14
12.Official reasons for denial/deferments:"Not Served Sufficient Amount of Time."
13.1 am presently working on a job that requires "Outside  the  fence  clearance" from the Warden
    I would like to share with you the words of the District Attorney at my sentencing hearing:
“On the Burglary While Armed as a Habitual Offender where the maximum penalty is 30 years, I'm asking the Courts to incarcerate him for a period of 20 years, On Count 4, the charge of Burglary as a Habitual Offender, I'm asking the Court to incarcerate him for a period of 15 years. Quite frankly, we do not know which house he went into first but I believe a 15 year sentence is appropriate and I ask that run consecutive. To the charges of Possession of a Firearm as a Convicted Felon as a Habitual Offender, I asks the court to sentence him to 5 years. The total the state is asking for is 40 years. I'm asking that because quite frankly given the conditions of our prison and Mr.Johnson is probably going to serve about 10 years from today,date roughly a little bit more, but I believe a 10 year period where he's in an institution is necessary. The only thing that is going to change Mr.Johnson is time and putting him into his 30's and in this case 36 or 37 will at least give this community a break from his activities. I'D as* the .Court to follow the recommendation of the District Attorney." (The Judge followed the recommendation of the District Attorney, I feel the District Attorney asked for 40 years because he knew that I would be eligible for parole in 10 years.)
My institution adjustment has been very satisfactory. I have received 4 minor and 4 major conduct reports since I arrived at A&E in March 1994. None of my conduct reports are
for fighting, assault, possession of drugs/alcohol, the consumption of drugs/alcohol, possession/manufactoring of a weapon and/or disrespect to staff,
Mrs/Ms Swan, at this present time I know that I am not a risk to the any community. I have been incarcerated for 21 years for a non-violent crime. Please know that I am not minimizing my actions but at the worse time in my life I burglarized two homes. I take full responsibility for my actions and my situation.  But  I am not the same person today, that I was 21 years ago. Coming to prison literally saved my life. Since being in prison I have gotten the drug and alcohol treatment that I so badly needed. I have also gotten the educational help that I need to look for a job and the skills that I need to keep a job.

  Darrell's statement to the Public 

To whomever is reading this, please allow me, Darrell D.Johnson to express why I feel that I deserve to be released. I will not claim to be a model prisoner but my institution adjustment has been very satisfactory. I have received 4 minor and 4 major conduct reports in almost 22 years. None of my conduct reports have been for fighting, assault, possession/ manufactoring of a weapon, the consumption of drugs/alcohol,

possession of drugs/alcohol and/or disrespect to staff. In fact, I have only received 1 minor and 1 major conduct report in the last 11 years.

I feel that I have served sufficient time for my punishment. I have been eligible for release for 12 years. More importantly, I am ready to be released. I am statutory eligible for release, as well. My program participation is very satisfactory. My parole plan is also very adequate.

At this present time I know that I am not a risk to the public. At the worst time in my life 1 burglarized two homes. I am surely not minimizing my actions but I have done almost 22 years for a non-violent crime. I take full responsibility for my actions and my situation. But I can assure you that I am not the same person today, that I was almost 22 years ago.


Coming to prison literally saved my life. Since being in prison I have gotten the drug and alcohol treatment that I so badly needed. I have also gotten the educational help that I need

to apply/look for a job and the skills that I need to keep a job. I am a skilled upholsterer, a certified fork lift operator, a certified school tutor and a certified custodial worker.

My plan is to start my own business in the custodial field.

I also have a great number of family and friends that will assist me upon my release. My plan is to be released to the state of Minnesota and live with m, sister Martinique.

Lastly, I am truly and deeply remorseful for my actions. I also deeply regret doing what I did to get myself in this situation. I hurt alot of people with the action that I took. I disappointed myself and my family Iam truly thankful that

noone got hurt during those two burglaries and that the victims received their property back.

Thank you for reading about my situation. 

Darrell's parole commission report on jpeg- click to view larger
Letter to Senator Kerkman
click on picture to view larger
Add caption
Click this link to view in pdf file

















Letter to Senator Lehman
click on picture to view larger
Click this link to view in pdf file
D Johnsons' letter to Lehman  pg 2
D Johnson's letter to senator Lehman pg1click to view larger





No comments: